Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Stache Effect

Today I packed the kids up and took them shopping.  Now, I have an extraordinarily cute two and half year old girl and a ridiculously giggly 8 month old boy.  Guys back me up on this, but if you take a cute kid into public as a guy you get some extra "attention".

Girls, particularly those in the reproductive years between about 25 and 35 and women who are clearly grandparents, will smile at you, talk to you, give you approving looks for being a good father and taking your kids out.  And if you thought having a puppy was a great ice breaker, Fido ain't got nothin' on a baby.  When as a guy you can double-barrel the cute little girl and the baby...  I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

But today, with the stache, things were different. Grandmas were still all about the kiddos, but women of reproductive age acted... differently.  The kids may as well have been invisible.  The women saw nothing but the beginnings of a studly stache.

Now, I'm not going to say that those women that noticed the stache were actually throwing off the "I dig you" vibe.  It was more like a lingering stare, a questioning look, a glance that lasted just a little too long.  Basically, I noticed at least three women roughly my age and roughly in my league staring.  I can best describe the look on their face as "Is that what I think it is?"

So, clearly the stache isn't in enough yet to have it's full effect.  But, hey, Rome wasn't built in a day.  I have no doubt the confusion I witnessed today will be replaced with animal magnetism soon enough.

They guys at M4K told me it would be like this, but nothing really prepares you for the moment when it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment